Job Title: HHS Wildlife Center Wildlife Social Media Internship
The Wildlife Social Media Internship provides interns with comprehensive training in Houston Humane Society Wildlife Center’s daily operations and wildlife education efforts. Wildlife Social Media interns will work under the supervision of the Volunteer Coordinator within the Marketing department. The Intern will be encouraged to put their creative spirit to work in our marketing programs, social media planning and execution, fundraising events, and networking. Throughout the internship, we will offer training in non-profit marketing and business practices helping to give a competitive edge in pursuing a career in Public Relations/Marketing.
- Be familiar with the mission and history of the Houston Humane Society and HHS Wildlife Center
- Marketing and Social Media
- Under supervision, develop and implement email campaigns using Constant Contact.
- Create fun, educational, relevant material for social media platforms (Facebook, Instagram, TikTok) by coordinating with HHS Wildlife Center management for content and ideas.
- Post on HHS Wildlife Center social media at least 2 times per day and respond to comments where appropriate.
- Create videos for HHS Wildlife Center and upload them to YouTube and other platforms when needed.
- Events and Outreach
- Represent HHS Wildlife Center in a professional manner at community events, festivals, and expos.
- Attend outreach events as assigned
- Help plan and manage events
- Assist with event volunteers, event day logistics, and post-event communication/evaluation.
- Track sponsorships, donations, and participation at events
- Under supervision, helps solicit silent auction donations and event sponsors
- Create promotional materials for events in Canva or PicMonkey
- Effectively communicate with HHS Wildlife Center staff members, interns, volunteers, visitors, and members of the public
- Participate in HHS Wildlife Center Fundraising Committee meetings and take detailed notes
- Complete all supplemental training materials as assigned
- Attend additional training as assigned
- Be involved with overall HHS marketing goals
- Perform one-on-one meetings with the Volunteer Coordinator every 3 weeks.
- 3-month term
- Hours/Week: 4-5 shifts a week with 4 to 9 hours a shift for three months, requires a minimum completion of 200 hours. (The completion of an internship does not guarantee full-time or part-time job placement at HHS Wildlife Center)
- Terms: Summer- May through July
- Wage/Salary: $10/hr
- Interns must attend a training orientation
- Interns must be at least 18 years old by the internship application due date and currently enrolled in college
- Must be available to work all scheduled shifts including early mornings, late nights, and weekends
- Public speaking and presentation skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Interns must have reliable transportation
- Must be able to pass a background check
- Ability to work well with diverse groups of people, personalities, and learning styles.
- Ability to work both independently and as a team member
- All applicants must provide a current resume and a letter of recommendation from either a professor, teacher or previous employer in their online application
- Applicants should be pursuing a degree in digital media, marketing, communications, or public relations
- Well-organized and able to effectively manage multiple tasks, projects, and responsibilities simultaneously
- Able to problem-solve
- Capable of rigorous indoor and outdoor work
- Work will often require: standing, bending, stooping, lifting (must be able to lift 40 lbs), climbing ladders, and reading small text
- Any applicable college credit (or additional requirements) must be arranged by the student through his/her institution and presented to HHSWC staff during the initial interview.
Changing Office Locations:The HHS Wildlife Center will be changing locations to a new and improved building in 2024. The new location will be 3100 W. Fuqua Street, Houston, TX 77045. All employees must be willing to work at the current location and switch to the new location after the move.
Send additional documents, including resumes and cover letters, to firstname.lastname@example.org